Recipe developed by Manachef CI.
- Pieces of sugar cane
- Seasonal Fruits – May include guavas, apples, pears, oranges, and dried fruits.
- Also, punch can also be found with different fruits depending on the region in Mexico. For example, you can find it with acidic fruits like oranges, Mexican sweet lime, or pineapple.
- As for spices, some cooks will also add anise star and chamomile, in addition to cinnamon..
- Put water in a large pot.
- Add the piloncillo (or brown sugar) and the cinnamon, cook for about 15 minutes. If you are using fresh Tejocotes, add them with the piloncillo and cinnamon as they take longer to soften.
- Add the chopped guavas, apples, and prunes along with the rest of the ingredients, such as sugarcane chunks, tamarind pods, or Jamaica flowers. If you are using the canned version of the tejocotes, add them in this step.
- Cook over low heat for about 1 hour.
- Serve hot in cups, serve some fruit, and add rum to taste.